“Rocky Point Harbor” - an F&SM Tribute

Started by Keep It Rusty, November 03, 2020, 11:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulS

Looking absolutely fantastic Craig !!!
That is going to be one spectacular diorama and tribute !!
I'll be following along and thanks for sharing,
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

Dennis Bourey

Craig, Absolutely Beautiful. I don't know how you do so much in a day or two. Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Keep It Rusty

Paul, Dennis — thank you for your kind words. Really appreciate you following along.

One thing I'm really looking forward to is the ground cover. That also spells a near close to the diorama, so I will just have to take my time getting there ;)

Rail and Tie

Very nice work. Exceptional painting and weathering skills on the seawall. What is that Barnacle material? It really makes the scene. It looks to pass as mussels if painted blue black and just a bit bigger I love watching your work come together.
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

postalkarl

Hey Craig:

Love all the pics you posted. Keep em coming. I'm really enjoying this build.

Karl

Keep It Rusty

Quote from: Rail and Tie on March 17, 2021, 12:57:25 PM
Very nice work. Exceptional painting and weathering skills on the seawall. What is that Barnacle material? It really makes the scene. It looks to pass as mussels if painted blue black and just a bit bigger I love watching your work come together.

Thanks Darryl! The Barnacles are fine ballast (buff). The secret to these is a light to medium coverage. The seaweed is fine turf. Also, I will be adding a touch of color here or there around them when I do the brown sludge tideline across the walls a little later!

Jerry/Karl -- really appreciate your continued support! So pleased you are enjoying this journey too.

ACL1504

Craig,

You did a fantastic job on dowel smoke stack. It looks like a metal on to me.

Great stuff here sir,

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Keep It Rusty

Thank you, Tom. I really appreciate that! It put up a fight, but I got there in the end (although, still a shame you can easily spot the wood grain...)

Rail and Tie

Quote from: Keep it Rusty on March 17, 2021, 07:25:26 PM
Thank you, Tom. I really appreciate that! It put up a fight, but I got there in the end (although, still a shame you can easily spot the wood grain...)

The chimney turned out quite well. Regarding the wood grain, would it make sense to put a few coats of dullcote or flat mod podge to hide the grain? I know this is after the fact, but I have done that on a flat wood roof that I painted to look like metal and could still see the woodgrain. I coated it with flat mod podge and it worked pretty good. You could test it on a scrap piece to see if it works.

Then again, the grain is broken up quite a bit by the horizontal lines around the chimney so I suspect you really don't notice the grain off camera. It is lovely shading job on it as well.
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

Keep It Rusty

Darryl, I thought the same thing, that the grain is broken by the horizontal lines.

I also thought about using a varnish of some description, but decided I would just leave it alone — given how I'd already messed up one and this one took a while to finish!

Thanks for your suggestion though.

In other news, I knocked the structure today, sending Emporium's water tower to a long death. I basically had to rebuild the damn thing from the pieces I picked up off the floor. This evening was a painful one.

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

postalkarl

Hey Craig:

I really like how that dowel rod chimney came out.

Karl S

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Keep It Rusty

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on March 18, 2021, 12:22:01 AM
That suck's Craig.  :-[

It really did. I think the heavy lid casting fell on top of it, which is what made it explode. I got it put back together last night after a couple deep breaths!

Quote from: postalkarl on March 18, 2021, 03:10:37 AM
Hey Craig:

I really like how that dowel rod chimney came out.

Karl S

Thanks Karl! I used a little "Rub N Buff" on the metal parts to give it some extra sheen.

Quote from: GPdemayo on March 18, 2021, 09:19:18 AM
One heck of a scene Craig..... 8)

Thank you, Greg! It's really coming together now.