Previous topic - Next topic

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

Looks just great. Love your palm trees. Keep the pics flowing.

Karl

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on August 08, 2021, 07:04:53 PM
Tom- WOW,  excellent scenery work. I can't wait to see it in person.

Curt,

Thank you my friend. I enjoy doing the scenery. See you this Saturday morning.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on August 08, 2021, 09:17:45 PM
Tom

You are make great progress, it looks great.  Good to see the new section is starting out level.

John,

Thanks very much. I'm happy to be moving right along for a change.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on August 09, 2021, 01:02:09 AM
Looking great, Tom.

Abracadabra and those palm trees look great!

Your making good progress - almost back to your pre COVID19 speed?  Those threaded rods would sure making leveling the upper deck easy.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark, Cheers,

Thank you, much appreciate you stopping by. I really like the difference in the palm tree look. Yes, almost bad to normal for me. The threaded rods do help for sure.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Jerry on August 09, 2021, 09:11:08 AM
Tom some nice scenery and those palm trees right on!

Great work all around as usual.

Jerry

Jerry,

Thank you, appreciate the kind support. The palm trees turned out better than expected.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Judge on August 09, 2021, 03:51:11 PM
Tom - Glad you were able to salvage those palm trees.  The progress at Summit is welcome.  It won't be long before passenger trains are backing into the Station.

Bill,

Yes, the change on the palms is a welcome one. It will still be some time prior to any trains backing in on the Summit level. We'll talk Saturday.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on August 10, 2021, 07:41:39 PM
Hey Tom:

Looks just great. Love your palm trees. Keep the pics flowing.

Karl

Karl,

Thanks buddy, it's always good to see you come by. More pictures to follow this afternoon or evening.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

As I was building the box for the next 8 feet on the upper level I happened to notice the sticker on the 1X3.

Made in New Zealand! I wonder if the 1X3 was made, or grown in New Zealand?

Just thinking out loud here.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

After the frame work was finished, I made another 8 ft. length of LEDs of lighting the second level.

I use the LED strips from Movsun. Each reel contains 18 feet of LEDs.

The next photo shows the LEDs left after I used what was needed.

I've had these for several years and don't remember the cost.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I covered in detail, somewhere in a part of this build thread. how I make the strips for the LEDs so I'll just touch on it here.

I cut an 8 ft. length of Masonite 1 1/4" wide. I use DAP Weldwood Contact Cement and brush it on one side of the Masonite.

It dries fairly quickly but stays tacky for a few hours.

I then cut two 8 ft. lengths of the LEDs. The LED strips have a removal tape on the back side. The LED strips have a sticky side for surface mounting. I used the contact cement as this gives me a fail proof way to mount the LEDs.

Once the two strips are pressed onto the Masonite with the contact cement, you need to wire them together. Make sure the negative and the positive are wired together as shown below. + to + and - to -.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I predrilled four sets of holes in the cross braces for wiring. Two for lights (LEDs), two for track power and two for structure lighting. The green/white are the LEDs buss wires.

When working on a project, I'm amazed the tools seem to multiply like rabbits.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

I can't  believe the second level is finally going in. Looks like great carpentry work (as normal of course).
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ACL1504

Each additional 8 foot section of benchwork is wired using terminal strips.

I then made a test fit of the plywood decking on the benchwork. I noticed I was off about 3/16". I then realized this was the width of the ripping blade used when ripping the 4X8' plywood down the center. The other section of plywood is 24" wide. With fascia and scenery, this missing 3/16" isn't a problem.

Time for a Diet Pepsi, back in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com