Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 4) Started 8/14/21

Started by S&S RR, August 14, 2021, 08:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on August 30, 2021, 10:48:17 AM
Hey John:

That's A great kitty. I test built it. My friend Jon has it for his RR. His Rr is about the same size as the F&SM. Can't to see what you do with it. Looks great so far.

Karl

Karl

It is a great kit, I'm really enjoying the build.

It sure would be nice to see some updated photographs of your friend Jon's layout. ;)   It sure was impressive the last time you posted pictures.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on August 30, 2021, 01:37:27 PM
John, those extra boards make me feel much better, for a couple of reasons:  (1) You thought my nagging was worth doing :-)  (2) It shows some 'deliberate intent' in the model for keeping the coal out of the river, (3) it breaks up the long run of stone a bit, which I think helps the scene overall.

dave

Dave

There are a lot of great modelers with great ideas on this forum - that is one of the reasons I take the time to post.  I agree with you that the wood helps break up the all stone look.  You will find a second board on my next update photograph.  Thank you for the suggestion.

I started the water today, and I really hope it looks better after it dries. I'm using a new material and it sure looks weird as it dries.  I'm taking pictures and will have a full report. It has a long way to go before it doesn't qualify for a do over. :o ::) :-[
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: So I returned from my fishing trip to find that the water I poured before leaving dried to look like milk. I tried a new product that was highly recommended, but it sure didn't work for me. Since I think build threads should contain things gone wrong along with the things gone right I will post some pictures and a description of the process I used, maybe someone will be able to spot the cause of the problems.

First here is a picture of the bottle the product came in. In the words of the person that recommended it you pour it just like two part resign.  I was cautions and poured a very thing coat for the first pour. I actually measured the thickness when I removed the material and it was .030 inch.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

Bernd

John,

I was looking for a use date. Could the material have been old stock without you knowing it? The only other thing I can think of is could it have frozen. Not knowing how long is has been since it was shipped to the US. Could have come over in the winter in a container and frozen before you got it. Just guessing at some ideas for other products effected by temp.

Looks like it could be a mess to clean up amongst those rocks. Good luck fixing it.

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

S&S RR

Quote from: Bernd on September 05, 2021, 09:58:16 PM
John,

I was looking for a use date. Could the material have been old stock without you knowing it? The only other thing I can think of is could it have frozen. Not knowing how long is has been since it was shipped to the US. Could have come over in the winter in a container and frozen before you got it. Just guessing at some ideas for other products effected by temp.

Looks like it could be a mess to clean up amongst those rocks. Good luck fixing it.

Bernd

Bernd

I don't see any dates on the bottle.  I purchased it within the last year - no way of knowing the temperature history before I bought it.
I have pictures from just after I poured it and then I will post the removal photographs.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here are some pictures just a few hours after I poured it.

The next morning,

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The removal went very easy - the material pulled up in one big sheet.  The paint came up with it, leaving the glue base.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is what it looked like after I pulled up the sheet of material.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

So after repainting the glue surface I got out some Envirotex Lite that I have had on the shelf for years. I moved the baseboard over by the spray booth and leveled it. Mixed the two part Envirotex Lite and poured. About 15 minutes after I poured it I went over it with a hair dryer to remove a few bubbles.  As of 7 hours after the pour it looks great.  I'm going to be starting any water on my layout with Envirotex Lite.  I will use the medium products for special affects like waves and white water, but I will always start with a base pour of Envirotex Lite.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

You can see the reflection of the tools on my workbench in the glossy finish.  So far no bubbles - we will see what it looks like in the morning.
John Siekirk

Keep It Rusty

Great save!

And nothing beats Envirotex for reliability.

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision