GC Laser Auction House

Started by Janbouli, December 22, 2013, 07:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janbouli

The Model60 pledge has really got me going, started on this yesterday and I like it so much so far that I would rather have worked on it then go to work  ;)

First the package and the contents. The packaging is very vulnerable for such a fragile kit, I think this should definitely be boxed.

I love photo's, don't we all.

Janbouli

15 page instructions, no text except for a small bit on page 1 , very good drawings however.

I'll just follow the instructions building up sub assemblies.

Janbouli

GC uses a sort of paper/plastic to lasercut the finer things such as railings, this is one of the sides of the bleachers in the auction house.

And here they are attached to the sides of those bleachers. The instructiuons don't say anything about attaching to the base yet , but with parts this small I think using the base as a sort of jig is the way to go.

I'm glad I have good tools and aids to work with, like the steel blocks and different kinds of good quality tweezers.

Dave K.

GC Laser are neighbors...just across the border up in Cheeseland. I've built their grain elevator background flat and used some of their detail parts. Used their garden trellises and wheelbarrow full of tools. May be getting their concrete grain silos for a complex we're planning for the club.  Enjoying your thread.

Janbouli

Thank you Dave. I didn't have any problems doing Model60 today, the next part of the auction house plus painting what I made yesterday took me well over 60

There are lots of fences to be made in this kit, seemed like it would be a bit tedious but found out it isn't. I started by numbering the sheets , yes the instructions have the numbers on them but this made it a bit easier to oversee.

Short and longer posts to be glued , if you look close you can see the markings where the posts are ligned up with.

Do the fences while on the sheet.

Then cut out and voila.

These fences belong to a divider , the rest of the pictures show the build of that.

The last image is taken from about 1 1/2 foot, just to show that this will look good with 2 foot rule .

Janbouli

Next part , the 2 loading ramps.

Leave them on the sheet for now , glue the posts guided by the markings.

Posts glued to the loading ramp sides and cut from the sheet.

There are 2 loading ramps , glue the floors into the slots of the sides and then glue both sides and floor together.

Both loading ramps and gates.

Gates mounted to the ramps.

ak-milw

I have built a few of their kits, they do nice work and you end up with a great model. Looks like you are off to a great start on this one.

8)

Janbouli

Started a new stretch of Model60 today.

The doors for the office consist of 4 parts.

Doors and windows placed in the office walls.

PHQRR

Amazing...so tiny...  Nice work!

Janbouli

This is a photo from GC Laser , I've still got a lot of tiny work to do.

GPdemayo

OMG Jan, you're going to go blind working in that scale!  ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Janbouli

Quote from: GPdemayo on December 29, 2013, 06:26:35 PM
OMG Jan, you're going to go blind working in that scale!  ;D

I've got these to help me , and my friend the optician is making me a pair with stronger lenses.

Janbouli

Yesterday and today's Model60

The ramps placed on the base.

Backside of the bleachers. Ultra thin , looks very good but a bit of a struggle to place.

The office placed on the base.

One of the beam constructions.

Beam contsruction glued to the wall.

Total shot of where I am now.

More gates and fences.

One of the things on my to do list now is look up what the auction floor would have looked like.

jerryrbeach

Jan,

This is coming along nicely. The parts are very delicate looking, I think his will be awesome when complete.

If by the auction floor you are referring to the sale ring, it would have been several inches deep with sawdust or shavings or a mix of both. The ring men kick sawdust over any manure to try to keep the ring itself as clean as possible through the duration of the auction. Some sale barns do use lime on the walkways, both lime and sawdust would be present on the ramps and chutes. The ring could be painted or unpainted steel, usually pipe, though some older barns do have wood ring walls. The wood chutes, gates, and pens would very likely be whitewashed (sprayed with a heavy coat of lime and water), probably annually or semi-annually. Of course, there will be a build up of manure on the lower surfaces, with splatter on higher areas. Also, it is common for the incoming animals to pass over a scale, usually the holding pen right before the ring, and the scale dial readout (or newer digital readouts) are commonly on the wall behind the auctioneer's podium so the buyers can easily read the animal's weight before they enter the ring.
The floor in the buyer's area would also be concrete, usually unfinished, sometimes it will be spread with lime, a few places use a scant layer of sawdust. Most buyers like to check the penned animals before the sale, and thus track whatever they manage to step in back to the bleacher area.
Jerry

tjseeley

Hi Jan - I'm loving watching this build!  I took some pictures of our local (Hackettstown, NJ) commission sale (happens every Tuesday) for research for my own commission sale, which will start with FSM Butcher's Way. I will need to expand the hip-roof barn a bit for the sale ring.  The other thing I love about commission sales is that they sell cattle, sheep, goats, chickens, rabbits, and outside, folks set up stands of veggies and home-made stuff & then there is always the machinery sale (so I'll get to model some cool old 1900-20s tractors and farm equipment.)  Here are some pics of the area early in the morning before the auction started (except the one taken from the 'out door' from the sale ring - the auction was in play then.  On the first pic - the 'in' door is to the far left (out of pic) and the out door to the far right.  the door you see mid-right side is for 'issues' (sick animals, problem animals, like bulls, to separate pens).  The second pic shows more of the buyers' area - there is always a cafeteria (pretty grubby) since we usually spend at least half a day at the sale.