The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Jerry

Looking good Tom.  I really like the cinder tower very cool!!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

GPdemayo

Big "neat-o" on the water tower and cinder conveyor.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

sdrees

This area on you layout is coming together very nicely Tom.
Steve Drees
SP RR

Lynnb

Really coming together nicely, are you going to weather up the tower to blend in with all thise other great looking structures, just a tad too new.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

Judge

Well, it was a cloudy, rainy day here in beautiful Central Florida with the temperature not quite reaching 80 degrees.  It was a productive Saturday. I arrived on station at the A&S home office promptly at 8:30 a.m. and delivered our recently acquired new in the box PFM A&LM ten wheeler, which needed serious conversion work to replace the open frame motor with a can.   A WOW Sound decoder was installed last week.  The engine had a little kink in its get-a-long and tended to short out on turnouts, but Tom saved the day on the short and the kink worked out through a combination of being "run in" and an adjustment to the running gear.  Now she creeps along on speed step one and easily pulls six cars and a caboose through the swamps of the Atlantic & Southern.

We decided to do a little running/switching operation today and started off with uncoupling an ACL USRA 4-8-2A from its tank car train and moving it through Tahope (10 mph and no smoke) to the roundhouse.  It barely fits on the 90' turntable but is now resting with fires banked in stall 4.  Then we coupled a brace of ACL GP7's onto the tank train and shuttled it down the ovalix to one of the staging tracks on the lower level. 

We ran an extra freight powered by an A-B-A set of NC&St.L F3's from Sanlando through Piney Woods and Nathan Bedford Forest before changing power to purple and silver ACL F3's at the diesel facility.  Normally NC&StL units do not venture so far south but there was a weather condition in Atlanta and the train was diverted to avoid unnecessary delay. 

The rest of the day was devoted to switching around the Tahope area and engaging in B.S., which we tend to do every Saturday. 

Hope y'all had as much fun today as Tom and I did. 

OHE   

jerryrbeach

Quote from: Judge on December 15, 2018, 05:51:13 PM
Well, it was a cloudy, rainy day here in beautiful Central Florida with the temperature not quite reaching 80 degrees.  It was a productive Saturday. I arrived on station at the A&S home office promptly at 8:30 a.m. and delivered our recently acquired new in the box PFM A&LM ten wheeler, which needed serious conversion work to replace the open frame motor with a can.   A WOW Sound decoder was installed last week.  The engine had a little kink in its get-a-long and tended to short out on turnouts, but Tom saved the day on the short and the kink worked out through a combination of being "run in" and an adjustment to the running gear.  Now she creeps along on speed step one and easily pulls six cars and a caboose through the swamps of the Atlantic & Southern.

We decided to do a little running/switching operation today and started off with uncoupling an ACL USRA 4-8-2A from its tank car train and moving it through Tahope (10 mph and no smoke) to the roundhouse.  It barely fits on the 90' turntable but is now resting with fires banked in stall 4.  Then we coupled a brace of ACL GP7's onto the tank train and shuttled it down the ovalix to one of the staging tracks on the lower level. 

We ran an extra freight powered by an A-B-A set of NC&St.L F3's from Sanlando through Piney Woods and Nathan Bedford Forest before changing power to purple and silver ACL F3's at the diesel facility.  Normally NC&StL units do not venture so far south but there was a weather condition in Atlanta and the train was diverted to avoid unnecessary delay. 

The rest of the day was devoted to switching around the Tahope area and engaging in B.S., which we tend to do every Saturday. 

Hope y'all had as much fun today as Tom and I did. 

OHE

I did not have even a quarter of the fun that the two of you enjoyed and I am soooo jealous!
Jerry

vinceg

Tom, how wide is that shelf? Looks pretty compact but there's a lot action packed in there.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: jerryrbeach on December 15, 2018, 07:51:24 AM

Tom,

I like the vertical element the water tower adds to the scene.  That cinder conveyor is pretty cool, too.  Looking forward to seeing it painted and weathered.

Jerry,

I didn't think of it at the time but you are correct. The vertical element compliments the scene very well. The tower and conveyor are now painted. More on that later.

Appreciate you stopping by.

Tom ;D

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on December 15, 2018, 09:33:14 AM
Hey Tom:

The water tower looks great.

Karl

Karl,

Thank you, much appreciated. More work needs to be done on the tower. It is now painted. I need to decal it and then add weathering.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Jerry on December 15, 2018, 12:15:21 PM
Looking good Tom.  I really like the cinder tower very cool!!

Jerry

Jerry,

Thank you. I have plans to add more detail to the conveyor. More on that later.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on December 15, 2018, 12:17:06 PM
Big "neat-o" on the water tower and cinder conveyor.  8)

Greg,

Much appreciated my friend, thank you.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: sdrees on December 15, 2018, 12:32:33 PM
This area on you layout is coming together very nicely Tom.

Steve,

Thank you. This is the first area seen when you walk in. It will be super detailed and I'm getting excited about the things I have planned for it.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Lynnb on December 15, 2018, 01:51:25 PM
Really coming together nicely, are you going to weather up the tower to blend in with all thise other great looking structures, just a tad too new.

Lynn,

Thank you, appreciate you stopping by. Yes, the tower will be, and is now, painted. I still need to add the "Tahope" decals and weathering. More on the paint later this afternoon.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com