Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on July 04, 2021, 10:50:50 AM
John,

Great looking panel and graphics. That is going to be one fantastic looking control panel. Great stuff here John.

Tom  ;D

Tom

Thank you for the kind words. After running trains with the control panels over the past few years, I learned a few things that needed to be incorporated into this update.  Once the graphics are complete I will pull the glass off each panel and replace the graphics.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Update: It got hot here today so I got a lot of time at the workbench. Here are a few photographs that describe what's going on each of my workbenches.

First of all, Brownsville Depot has the roof card installed on the main building.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The walls for the Sayles Mill Boiler HJouse received a coat of primer.

I then started the process of adding the soft pastel chalk.

To show off the brick color and leave the grey color in the mortar joints I use a soft eraser to remove the chalk off the brick faces.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Finally, for tonight, the upper level for the main Salyes Mill building started going together.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Today, the upper wood level of the main Sayles Mill structure was glued together.  I did a dry test fit at the end of the day - ready for assembly.  I also made the loading docks for the Tucker & Cook build - I will take another progress photograph of that build, tomorrow.

John Siekirk

Jerry

Looking good John!  The hot weather should keep you in and modeling!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on July 06, 2021, 05:11:43 PM
Looking good John!  The hot weather should keep you in and modeling!

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for stopping by the thread and the encouraging comments. Yes, the hot weather even ruled out modeling in the gazebo.  Last night we had a front go through and things have cooled off to the 70's.  I spent some quality modeling time in the gazebo last night.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Today, the upper level of the Sayles Mill was trimmed and glued to the lower resin casting portion of the building. The wood structure fit perfectly side to side and has a few thousands overhand front to back.

Here is how it was held down while the glue dried.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I finally got back to the Tucker & Cook build and started to add the final details.  It was on hold until I could get back up to my cabin and get some more of the garden soil that I use as my base for the scenery work. I used up my supply during the pandemic and had to resupply.  I ran the dirt through the fine mesh screens and put it in the oven to kill anything that might have been living in it.  Here is a progress picture with the loading docks added.  Next step will be the dirt and first layer of scenery materials.  Then I will add the final details, castings, figures etc. and do some touchup work.

John Siekirk

Keep It Rusty

What a great photo! Great job, John.

Can't wait to see how the SRMW kit will look all weathered given it's proximity to that messy coal tower (which I ADORE, by the way)

postalkarl

S&S RR

Quote from: Keep it Rusty on July 08, 2021, 11:19:28 AM
What a great photo! Great job, John.

Can't wait to see how the SRMW kit will look all weathered given it's proximity to that messy coal tower (which I ADORE, by the way)

Craig

Thank you for stopping by the thread and the encouraging words.  I will be dusting it up a little -life in a steam train yard was not very clean - I think getting scenery around the buildings is really going to help make them pop.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is another progress picture from the Tucker & Cook build. I added the base dirt around the buildings.  Yes, it is very dark in this picture all wet down with Matt Medium. It will dry much lighter and will serve as the base color for all the scenery materials. I will add lighter tan sand in the roadways.

John Siekirk

postalkarl