Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdrees

Steve Drees
SP RR

S&S RR

Quote from: cuse on June 15, 2020, 08:48:02 AM
Awesome structure to compliment your majestic rocks. Those giant beams will look amazing when distressed and stained!

John

John

Thank you for stopping by the thread and the kind words, and yes they are giant beams.  If you look at the spans involved in a building this size I think they are appropriate - especially in snow country.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: NKP768 on June 15, 2020, 09:12:20 AM
John

WOW!

Doug

Doug

Yup - I think I may have got out of control with this project. The strip wood consumption is spiking on the S&S RR. Almost as bad as the summer I built the trestle. :-[  I filled my table saw full of sawdust, yesterday.  Then it was time to empty the shop vac.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: sdrees on June 15, 2020, 12:25:15 PM
Great looking work John

Steve

Thank you for the encouraging words, I need to keep up the momentum on this project.  I need to do some quicker builds when I'm through. ;)
John Siekirk

Jerry

John looking good.  Everything is lined up perfectly.

An the work goes on.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on June 16, 2020, 08:28:38 AM
John looking good.  Everything is lined up perfectly.

An the work goes on.

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for following along. Yes the fun continues, I'm taking a couple days to get some outside chores done while the weather is good, but I will be back at this project later in the week.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: I have been spending my build time working on the interior beam structure for the Brick Roundhouse the last few days.  I need to take some more progress photographs.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a progress photograph - the front section of the Roundhouse has beam - except for a stick or two which need to wait until the rest of the glue dries. I'm starting across with the clapboard on the top - I can't wait to cut all those windows ;) . I will start going back and forth between the 11 stall section and 4 stall section of the building while I wait for the glue to try from here on out.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I have gone through 1 bundle (20 -24 inch long pieces) of 1/8 inch square and 1 bundle of 3/16 x 1/8 inch strip wood.  I found 10 pieces of 1/8 inch by 4 inch by 24 inches long basswood in my stash, so I'm going to cut them to size for the rest of the strip wood. The table saw will be busy.

John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Excellent modeling.  The wood beams look great especially when compared to plastic ones.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on June 18, 2020, 01:18:07 PM
Excellent modeling.  The wood beams look great especially when compared to plastic ones.

Curt

Thank you, originally I was going to make one beam assembly - make a mold - and then cast the rest out of resin. I'm glad I decided to go with the wood. It is taking awhile but I enjoy working with wood. I'm to the point that I only use resin for stone and brick walls when I can't use the laser cut walls from Monster.  If the rumor is true that Jimmy is coming back into production of his walls,  I may be done with resin.
John Siekirk

deemery

It's a good day when you get to make more sawdust  :D

dave  (who made some sawdust himself today, cutting hardboard and supports for my 'vertical access panel'.)
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

postalkarl

Hey John:

Looking just beautiful. WOW!!!! lots of beams to assemble.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on June 18, 2020, 02:39:43 PM
It's a good day when you get to make more sawdust  :D

dave  (who made some sawdust himself today, cutting hardboard and supports for my 'vertical access panel'.)

Dave

Yes it is.  I have been having so much fun I filled my 10 gallon shop vac. ;) ;D
John Siekirk