Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: sdrees on December 11, 2020, 05:04:31 PM
John, there has been a recent discussion of static grass applicators on the Sierra West site under the Scotia thread.  I recently bought the Noch 3.0 Grassmaster which puts out 11,000 volts.  I am not that happy with it.  Two of the members from Europe swear by the RTS Greenkeeper 55KV applicator which has 5 times the output of the Noch.  But it is pricey.

Steve

I have three different applicators - I still haven't found the perfect one.  I will post some pictures of the applicators and results and we can compare notes.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on December 11, 2020, 05:45:39 PM
I put the question "Which Static Grass dispenser?" on Railroad-Line:  http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52007 
Also I checked with Bernie Kempinski, who has some blog entries on this.  He's still using "Grass Tech II Flocket Rocket".  Kathy Millatt recommended the WWS system, https://www.kathymillatt.co.uk/2017/02/02/how-to-make-static-grass-look-amazing/

dave

Dave

Thank you for the references. I'm looking for my notes from the Narrow Gauge Convention. Stay tuned.
John Siekirk

sdrees

That will be interesting to see how Martin Welberg's technique works out.  I sure like his products.
Steve Drees
SP RR

Janbouli

I have a RTS Greenkeeper , the 35Kv version , bought it because of Martin Welberg ( he now uses a much more expensive industrial flocking applicator as far as I know ), we have met many times at train shows .

Haven't used the RTS a whole lot , but I sure like how it works.
I love photo's, don't we all.

deemery

Jan, £275 is expensive, did you get it at a better price?

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Janbouli

Quote from: deemery on December 12, 2020, 08:30:58 PM
Jan, £275 is expensive, did you get it at a better price?

dave
The 35Kv one is around 150 euro's, I think I got it off Ebay for 130 a few years ago, directly from RTS , but this was the time that they were seeking exposure. The 55Kv is 240 Euro's , prices are the same everywhere , and you won't find second hand ones because everyone is very satisfied with the product.

S&S RR

Jan, Dave, and Steve

I'm getting ready to start with the scenery on the Beach Farms diorama - four out building to finish and place and I will get started. I will be getting a lot of experience this winter with static grass on both this diorama and doing the finish scenery on the Eagles Nest Yard area. I will post pictures of my results and techniques and we can learn together.  Jan the static grass in the picture you posted looks like it is standing up, nicely. Did you use only the applicator or did you use a vacuum to help get it to stand up?
John Siekirk

deemery

One more note:  Jim Elster, Scenic Express, recommended Elmer's White School Glue is a good cheap glue for anchoring static grass. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Janbouli

Quote from: S&S RR on December 13, 2020, 01:50:56 PM

Jan the static grass in the picture you posted looks like it is standing up, nicely. Did you use only the applicator or did you use a vacuum to help get it to stand up?
I only used the applicator, the RTS works great mainly because of the higher voltage then others , Martin Welberg uses professional flock equipment that has even much higher Kv.

I also don't always use glue , but rather use wet acrylic paint for my first layer and then use glue for the next layers.

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on December 13, 2020, 02:15:22 PM
One more note:  Jim Elster, Scenic Express, recommended Elmer's White School Glue is a good cheap glue for anchoring static grass. 

dave

Dave

Thank you for your continued input to this discussion.  I will be doing some experimenting.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Janbouli on December 13, 2020, 07:20:59 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on December 13, 2020, 01:50:56 PM

Jan the static grass in the picture you posted looks like it is standing up, nicely. Did you use only the applicator or did you use a vacuum to help get it to stand up?
I only used the applicator, the RTS works great mainly because of the higher voltage then others , Martin Welberg uses professional flock equipment that has even much higher Kv.

I also don't always use glue , but rather use wet acrylic paint for my first layer and then use glue for the next layers.

Jan

Thank you for the input - I need to look up the specifications on the applicators I have.  I will get started on this in the next couple of weeks.  I need to complete the placement of the out buildings on my diorama before I begin.  I think there will be some test applications before I get started on the diorama.  It has been a while since I have used the static grass applicators and some retraining will be needed.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

The fence production continued, today, as I continue to work on the out buildings for the Beach Farms diorama.  I also continued with the detail work on the G. Wilikers build.  I will try to take some update pictures tomorrow.

John Siekirk

jerryrbeach

John,

I don't have a static grass applicator so I'll be following along when you plant the fields on the farm to see what works best.  I have built (and repaired) a lot of fence, like last Saturday when the deer tore it down (again).  Fortunately, I saw and fixed it before the moos saw their escape route.  Yours fence looks well designed, I'm guessing no scale deer will damage it and let your plastic cows escape.  ;D 
Jerry

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on December 14, 2020, 09:54:37 AM
John,

I don't have a static grass applicator so I'll be following along when you plant the fields on the farm to see what works best.  I have built (and repaired) a lot of fence, like last Saturday when the deer tore it down (again).  Fortunately, I saw and fixed it before the moos saw their escape route.  Yours fence looks well designed, I'm guessing no scale deer will damage it and let your plastic cows escape.  ;D

Jerry

Great to have you following along.  I will do my best to describe my experiences with the static grass.  As for my HO size deer running into my HO three rail fence - I assure you they will go away with a headache. It's a long drop for the MOOS if they get through the fence in a lot of the locations in this scene.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

A few days ago we where having a discussion about joist setting guides and I mentioned that I had made special jigs to fit them using my table saw.  I didn't have a picture at the time but remembered to take this picture while I was gluing the walls together for my corn crib for the Beach Farms diorama. I cut the grooves in the board to hold the guides so they were just the right depth to allow the joist, or in this case studs for the walls, to lay flat on the board. I can then add the wall boards right on to the studs with the joist setting guides holding them in place.  It really does work well. Here is the missing picture. I laid one of the guides on top so you can see what is hidden by the slits in the board.

John Siekirk