Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

John beautiful work on the farm.  Coloring & detail outstanding.
Looking forward to it sitting in place for real.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on December 18, 2020, 09:16:58 AM
John beautiful work on the farm.  Coloring & detail outstanding.
Looking forward to it sitting in place for real.

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for the very kind words. I am also looking forward to placing this diorama on the layout and getting the scenery finished. I want to see what all those internal LED's look like when the area all on at one time. I have only tested a few at a time.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Update: I have spent the last few days working on the out buildings for the Beach Farms diorama. I also have been working on the Silo that goes next to the barn.  It is amazing how time consuming and difficult it is to build a Silo. I have been taking pictures and will update the thread when I have more completed.  I also started building a corn crib from an old Scale Structures kit - I got the floor and two walls built over the templates when it dawned on me that it was way to big.  I created my own templates and used the strip wood from the kit to build mine. I guess it's an extreme kit bash.
Also, on the workbench is a scratch built addition to the tractor shed which is designed to be the equipment repair facility, I made it out of cement blocks. I learned from my dad, a welder, that you don't weld in a wood structure.  I hope to update with some pictures this evening.
John Siekirk

deemery

Quote from: S&S RR on December 19, 2020, 10:16:33 AM
... I learned from my dad, a welder, that you don't weld in a wood structure.  ...

Hopefully that wasn't a lesson learned The Hard Way....

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on December 19, 2020, 10:43:10 AM
Quote from: S&S RR on December 19, 2020, 10:16:33 AM
... I learned from my dad, a welder, that you don't weld in a wood structure.  ...

Hopefully that wasn't a lesson learned The Hard Way....

dave

Dave

No - but I remember well him showing me how long slag stayed hot enough to burn wood. All of the garages he built had a few rows of cement block before you got to the wood - at least on the inside.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Tomorrow, is going to be roofing day for the Beach Farms Diorama out buildings.  First, here is my corn crib.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here are a few more. From left to right, chicken coop, pig pen, tractor barn, and corn crib. 

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a progress shot of the Silo.  I played with the idea of going with a wood silo but decided to convert it to a concrete version per the instructions provided by Dario.

John Siekirk

jerryrbeach

John,

Nice work on all the outbuildings.  The unpainted "look" is exactly what I would expect, function not cosmetics.  I especially like the corn crib.  What did you use of the corn, it looks so realistic?

Gotta say that the silo looks more like wood stave than concrete to me.  FWIW, concrete staves were only three or four feet long due to their weight.  Wood staves were varying lengths from 8' to 16' and the joints were staggered (as were the joints on concrete stave silos).
Jerry

PRR Modeler

Great job on the buildings. I also agree about the corn crib.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on December 19, 2020, 09:06:15 PM
John,

Nice work on all the outbuildings.  The unpainted "look" is exactly what I would expect, function not cosmetics.  I especially like the corn crib.  What did you use of the corn, it looks so realistic?

Gotta say that the silo looks more like wood stave than concrete to me.  FWIW, concrete staves were only three or four feet long due to their weight.  Wood staves were varying lengths from 8' to 16' and the joints were staggered (as were the joints on concrete stave silos).

Jerry

Thank you for the kind words. I am so glad you noticed the corn in the corn crib. It's all about the details but sometime I think I get carried away. The corn in the corn crib is one of the aspen leaf flocks that I bought and never used - it was the wrong color for aspen leaves IMO. So I was going through my scenery materials looking for something that was the color of corn and was something I could process to be the right size and I found a use for it.

I can't make a case for paint on the outbuildings if the barn is in need of paint.

The Silo just didn't look right in wood to me - so I'm painting it concrete color.  The length of the staves will be broken up by the bands that I will add after the paint dries.  I took some prototype pictures of the concrete Silos around here and if I can get mine to look like Dario's it will look good. Having rail service to the farm makes a lot of things prototypically correct even though this Farm is up in the mountains. It does look like I will have to paint one of my tractors red to keep the Beach Family Tractor tradition alive. ;)
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on December 19, 2020, 09:13:50 PM
Great job on the buildings. I also agree about the corn crib.

Curt

The corn crib is from a picture I have in my head from my Grandparents farm.  Here are a couple of pictures of the floor and sidewall that I made of the kit supplied templates. I cut up the walls and shortened the 40 HO foot floor to 20 feet. I also changed the width to make the proportions fit my eye. As I said earlier an extreme kit bash.

The building between the templates and the floor and wall assemblies is the tractor barn built to the Dario kit proportions.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

It would take a lot of pigs and chickens to eat up all the corn that this corn crib would hold.
John Siekirk

jerryrbeach

John,

Thanks for clueing me in on what you used to make the corn. I don't know if I'll have room on my small layout for a farm but if I do I now know how to fill my crib. 

You are absolutely correct that the bands will cover the sides thus making the stave lengths a non-issue.  That's something i should have realized. 

You really do not need to add a red tractor to the farm, John Deere pretty much kicked IH's tail (family forum) once it brought out its four cylinder tractors in the 60's.  Among other things, IH struggled to match Deere's price, then made a series of less than ideal decisions that resulted in their own demise and Deere's dominance in today's market. 
Jerry

postalkarl

Hey John:

Looking just beautiful. As I said love the barn.

Karl