The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 4

Started by ACL1504, May 31, 2021, 01:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: Keep it Rusty on July 30, 2021, 08:36:02 AM
I have some of those light hubs, too. Whilst I'm yet to produce anything with them, experimenting with them was great! Shame the power supply is monopolized though.

Graig,

These are really working nicely for me on this project anyway. I agree the power supply is proprietary. However, I'm experimenting with the power source. I plan to cut off the wire at their power but keep the little clip end in tact. I'll then wire it to my power supply shown below.

Thanks for checking in.

Tom  ;D

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on July 31, 2021, 12:57:35 AM
Hey Tom:

you never cease to amaze me. Everything looks just beautiful

Karl

Karl,

I just keep plugging away until I have something finished. Appreciate the compliment.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: jrmueller on July 31, 2021, 10:51:45 AM
Tom As always looking great  8) Jim

Jim,

Thank you, much appreciated. It is becoming fun to work on the layout again.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I'm still behind some on the updates but I'm getting closer to getting caught up.

I taped off the track and used spackle to get a slope from the concrete to the track edge.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I wet the putty knife and smoothed the angle of the spackle.

When dry, I used Woodland Scenics Earth to paint the spackle.

I'll start adding scenery material to this area in the next few days.

Done for today.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

deemery

Craft and art stores have cheap plastic putty knifes.  I have a couple where I've cut/reshaped the knife to a specific shape, such as to set the angle on ballast.  You could do the same thing with plastic putty knives. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

jbvb

IIRC the Just Plug system uses JST 2.54 mm connectors (notes on RR-Line, maybe I'll see them again someday).  Parts can be gotten from DigiKey and others, connectors assembled with wires from Amazon or WeHonest. Roomettes says their light boards are compatible with Just Plug. When I used the connectors to hook a Roomette unit to 12 VDC it was pretty bright, but hasn't failed to date.  One of these days I'll try adding resistors to dim it down.
James

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

Track work is coming along very nicely.

Karl

Bruce Oberleitner

Nice Work Tom!

Somebody get that man a Diet Pepsi!

Brucer

;D ;D  :o

GPdemayo

Quote from: Bruce Oberleitner on August 02, 2021, 07:46:35 PM
Nice Work Tom!

Brucer

;D ;D :o

Better make that a couple of boxcar loads Bruce..... ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Quote from: deemery on July 31, 2021, 05:28:58 PM
Craft and art stores have cheap plastic putty knifes.  I have a couple where I've cut/reshaped the knife to a specific shape, such as to set the angle on ballast.  You could do the same thing with plastic putty knives. 

dave

Dave,

I'm still using the two I  purchased from the hardware store some 50+ years ago. As long as you clean them after every use, should last for ever.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: jbvb on July 31, 2021, 05:54:22 PM
IIRC the Just Plug system uses JST 2.54 mm connectors (notes on RR-Line, maybe I'll see them again someday).  Parts can be gotten from DigiKey and others, connectors assembled with wires from Amazon or WeHonest. Roomettes says their light boards are compatible with Just Plug. When I used the connectors to hook a Roomette unit to 12 VDC it was pretty bright, but hasn't failed to date.  One of these days I'll try adding resistors to dim it down.

James,

Thanks for the info, I'll check them out.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on August 01, 2021, 02:50:34 PM
Hey Tom:

Track work is coming along very nicely.

Karl

Karl,

Thanks buddy, much appreciate you stopping by.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Nice Work Tom!

Brucer

Cousin Brucie,

I have one in hand as I type this response.  8)

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on August 03, 2021, 09:11:21 AM
Nice Work Tom!

Brucer

Better make that a couple of boxcar loads Bruce..... ;D

Greg,

My office refrigerator is full of DP and H2O. I also have Diet Pepsi stacked on the floor.  Just saying as I like to be prepared for a large project.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com