Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 4) Started 8/14/21

Started by S&S RR, August 14, 2021, 08:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: Keep it Rusty on September 07, 2021, 08:38:42 AM
Great work as usual, John. For that interior on the Hydrocal wall, I'd use my cheap black hobby store paint to cancel it out. Alternatively, some black construction paper, half cut and slotted together to form an X shape, is a great way to block out interiors without painting or committing.

Craig

Thank you for the kind words, I plan on hitting it with some black paint before I close it up. I also should mention that I'm using a new technique with sizing the moldings. I cut them long with the nippers and then sand them to size with a sanding block/stick - really saves some time when you can get at them assembled.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ACL1504

John,

Fantastic work on the S&S RR. When I grow up I want to be as fast as you are in working on various projects on one layout. I believe the formula for Envirotex has changed over the years for the better. I do remember the smell and also the fact that 25+ years ago the then Envirotex yellowed over the years.

Anyway, well done my friend.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteWhen I grow up I want to be as fast as you are...

John 'the Bolt' Siekirk!!!

Yes - as always - progress is a plenty.  Even when things go wrong it doesn't slow you down!  Looking good, my friend.

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on September 07, 2021, 05:25:01 PM
John,

Fantastic work on the S&S RR. When I grow up I want to be as fast as you are in working on various projects on one layout. I believe the formula for Envirotex has changed over the years for the better. I do remember the smell and also the fact that 25+ years ago the then Envirotex yellowed over the years.

Anyway, well done my friend.

Tom ;D

Thank you for the kind words Tom.  As for growing up, I'm against it, they make you go to work and deal with crazy people. :o I'm happy playing with my trains. I'm not sure why my font just got bigger but I can live with it. I have been told that the key to the odor issue came with the Envirotex "Lite" formula change. I will ask George about the yellowing issue - he has water in the North River of the F&SM that is 25-30 years old.  Unless he changed it.

As for the build speed, yes I have three builds going at once most of the time, but I still think Karl builds a lot faster. Just sayin.

I just ordered a 1/2 gallon of the stuff for my river project. I'm waiting for a txt from the CFO when she sees what it cost.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on September 07, 2021, 06:10:05 PM
QuoteWhen I grow up I want to be as fast as you are...

John 'the Bolt' Siekirk!!!

Yes - as always - progress is a plenty.  Even when things go wrong it doesn't slow you down!  Looking good, my friend.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thank you for the encouraging words.  I like to try different products and different techniques and you are going to have things go wrong some times when you do that. It bothers me that I don't know what went wrong but I'm not going to waste my time trying to figure it out when I like the results with the Envirotex Lite. On word - to Karl speed and beyond, but never at the cost of quality. ;)

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update:  Here are a few photographs from my workbenches, today.

Dry fit of the boiler house.

More roofing to do in the morning.

Starting the weather shed on the Brownsville Depot (aka the Eagles Nest Depot)

Also, more detailing.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: I made some more progress on the Brownsville Depot build - renamed the Eagles Nest Depot. The rough weather shed has been constructed and is ready for detailing.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The annex building for the Sayles Mill build made it's way to the workbench for a dry fit.  I will be doing a little more detailing before it is glued to the baseboard. I'm real excited to see this build with mountains behind it.

John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: I spent the day, today, doing detail work on both the Sayles and Eagles Nest Depot builds. I have been making a list from the progress pictures and decided to make the changes before moving forward with the builds.  Tomorrow, I plan on finishing the major construction on the Depot and continuing with the detailing of the Sayles Mill. Once these two builds are complete I will be concentrating on finishing the scenery in the Eagles Nest Yard area for a few weeks. This is a perfect project to do during my fishing season because it's easy to start and stop.  I try to finish the scenery a few square feet at a time. Usually working on two or three areas at a time to allow for glue drying time. Stay tuned - there will be pictures. ;)
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Did anyone else notice that the lighting rod on the depot was bent over?  :-[  I can't find anyone else in the shop to blame.
John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)