The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 4

Started by ACL1504, May 31, 2021, 01:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

I only cut the two wires from the utility pole. Here is a better photo of the two wires.

I took photos of all sides paying particular attention to the location of the details. I then began to carefully remove the details.

Continued-
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Once all the details were removed, I started to remove the building from the foam base.

These are the tools I used to remove the structure.

I used the plastic eye dropper and dropped very little warm water on the outside edges of the structure as shown below.

Continued after getting a cold Diet Pepsi.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then added some water to the fence and utility pole area.

I used a #17 blade to remove the fencing from the posts.

I added a little more water to the bottom of the posts and carefully pulled them out of the foam.

These will be cleaned later and reinstalled.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

It appears the two sidewalks are some kind of pressed paper board so I didn't use the water to loosen the glue. Instead, I used the long Xacto blade and slipped it under the sidewalk and cut the glue.

Thankfully, Bob used very little glue to secure the two long sidewalks.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I added more water to the base of the utility pole and carefully worked it out of the hole. This took a few minutes but it came out and I didn't break it off at the base. YEA!

I then used the wide Xacto blade and slipped it under the sides of the main building. It came up with ease and nothing broke or was damaged.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The building was still a little damp on the bottom of the walls so I placed it on double thick paper towel to help remove some of the moisture.

The building is now off the foam base and ready to be planted on a concrete city block.

Done for tonight.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Mark Dalrymple

Nice deconstruction work, Tom.

Looking good.  Will be good to see it planted anew.

Cheers, Mark.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Janbouli

Great job Tom , I admire your patience , looking forward to seeing it on your layout.
I love photo's, don't we all.

cuse

Phew...you missed your calling. You would have made an excellent surgeon!!

John

ReadingBob

WOW!   :o  I'm sure glad I didn't have to watch that process in real time!  I'd have been like Fred Sanford "Oh Lordy! This is the big one! I'm coming to join you Elizabeth!  This is it!"   ;D  ;D  ;D

Nice job!
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

GPdemayo

Great work Tom.....if Bob had been watching he would have definitely got the vapors..... ;)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on August 17, 2021, 08:01:55 PM
Nice deconstruction work, Tom.

Looking good.  Will be good to see it planted anew.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark, Cheers,

Thank you, it was actually fun to do. I felt bad for removing the fantastic work bob did but in time it will be restored to it's original glory.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com