Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on November 05, 2020, 10:52:41 AM
John, Really impressive work. I like the color's a lot....Dennis

Dennis

Thank you for following along and the encouraging words. I'm really enjoying this project.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Update:  I spent the day adding details to the barn and planning the site before I start gluing down structures. I need to sleep on the changes, tonight, and get out the glue bottle in the morning.
John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

John, I couldn't reply to your George trip to take pic's. So I'll do it here. I hope it get's done soon and I like to go and meet you all and George....Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Jerry

John

Great weathering on the cupola!
A small detail that looks just right.

Stone farmhouse is coming along nicely.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on November 05, 2020, 10:09:32 PM
John, I couldn't reply to your George trip to take pic's. So I'll do it here. I hope it get's done soon and I like to go and meet you all and George....Dennis

Dennis

I'm looking forward to that trip, too.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on November 06, 2020, 08:29:37 AM
John

Great weathering on the cupola!
A small detail that looks just right.

Stone farmhouse is coming along nicely.

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for following along and the encouraging words. I'm going to glue the main structures to the baseboard, today. I like to do the final detail work with the prospective of the site plan.  I will be adding a lot of small support structures around these two main structures.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: I have been spending the last couple days doing some future planning for the layout. I'm getting to the point where I can start laying out the scene for the town of Vansel. I'm going to put some foam in place and establish the elevation in each section of the town. Then, I will make decisions on which structures will occupy the different sections of land. I use pictures of the area that I mark up on my iPad to plan the area.  I will share some of the marked up pictures when I have progressed far enough to have something to show. At the end of this process I will have the baseboards and a build list for the next few years.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I did a test fit of the Beach Farms baseboard on the layout, today.  Here is a picture of the wire management system - 4 wiring harnesses to feed through the benchwork to a junction box under the layout.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

A few pictures of the leveling process - all the shims are ready for the install - so back to the workbench for final assembly and detailing.

The foundation for the horse barn is also glued down to the baseboard and ready for the barn raising.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

It's time to fill in the holes in the background scenery and finish the complete background scene in preparation for the installation of the diorama.

I also have to adjust the valiance lighting - I made one quick attempt and had way to much light on the barn so I changed it back and now I don't have enough lighting on the barn.  Easy fix once everything is in place.
John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

Exciting times, John!

Its all coming together.  Re the building of structures for the town of Vansel - do you have a time frame or just an order?

Cheers, Mark.

jerryrbeach

Jerry

ACL1504

John,

The barn looks fantastic, great job. It looks perfect in that spot.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on November 08, 2020, 09:42:09 PM
Exciting times, John!

Its all coming together.  Re the building of structures for the town of Vansel - do you have a time frame or just an order?

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thank you for following along Mark. On the structure builds I have and order - structures in the back of the scene first for ease of installation. Time frame - I'm retired so I don't create or try to keep to a schedule (38 years of that was enough). If I keep my motivation level to work on the layout at it's current level I would guess Vansel is a 3 - 4 year project. I have enough layout planned to keep me busy for 30 years.  ;) ;D  The past year with no travel has given me more layout time, but I hope to get back to a normal schedule next year. I have a lot of the world that I would like to see - layouts to visit etc. Does this answer your question?
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on November 08, 2020, 10:19:49 PM
John,

Love the way this is coming together!

Jerry

Thank you for following along - the Beach Farms sign will be going up on the barn soon. A horse barn, silo, chicken coop, tractor barn, pig pen, corn crib and many pieces of farm equipment,  yet to build for the scene.
John Siekirk