The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 4

Started by ACL1504, May 31, 2021, 01:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: Jerry on August 19, 2021, 11:30:27 PM
Looks great Tom.  Really looking forward to the Flat Iron District!

Jerry

Jerry,

Thank you, appreciate the positive comment. The FOS Flat Iron won't be shipped until December 15, 2021.

I plan to start it as soon as I get it.

Tom   ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

I took a look at the kit on the FOS site and I think, with a few modifications it will look perfect in Tahope.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ReadingBob

Quote from: ACL1504 on August 20, 2021, 04:18:59 PM

Jerry

Jerry,

Thank you, appreciate the positive comment. The FOS Flat Iron won't be shipped until December 15, 2021.

Tom   ;D

Wait a minute....if that's a Christmas present you can't start it until the 25th!   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on August 21, 2021, 10:08:15 AM
I took a look at the kit on the FOS site and I think, with a few modifications it will look perfect in Tahope.  8)

Greg,

I agree. The tower on the end of the grocery store is one such modification.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: ReadingBob on August 21, 2021, 10:41:37 AM
Quote from: ACL1504 on August 20, 2021, 04:18:59 PM

Jerry

Jerry,

Tom   ;D

Wait a minute....if that's a Christmas present you can't start it until the 25th!   ;D

Bob,

The days between the 15th and the 25th are going to be a long 10 days. I'm sure she'll make me wait. Bummer. :'(

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Sometimes things just don't work as desired. When the 3/8" threaded rods were used to support the upper level, they worked perfectly to adjust the level of the benchwork.

What didn't work as desired was the excessive amount of "sway" of the third level. When the 3/8" rods were used further nouth of this location, it was much closer to the benchwork which was bolted to the wall.

The rods in question are 15.7 feet from that part of the layout bolted to the wall. The "sway factor" was just under 1.5". If the steel 3/8" threaded rods were to be bent due to the excessive sway, it would be very difficult to realign the upper level.

To correct this "sway factor", I used 1X2 #2 pine from New Zealand. Not the the pine is better from there it's just what Lowe's sells in the quality lumber racks.

So, next to the threaded rods I doubled screwed the 1X2s. Of course, I rechecked the levels prior to attaching the 1X2s.

Continued in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

This isn't the profile look I wanted for the supports but it is better than having the layout off center the further I build out the third level or Summit as we call it.

You can also see I installed the upper level fascia while I was making the adjustment with the 1X2s.

The good news is the addition of the 1X2s pretty much stopped the "sway factor". It now moves only less than 1/16".

As long as Greg keeps his elbows off the third level, we are all good to go!  8)
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

deemery

I wonder if a steel 2x4 would have been a better choice, in part because of dimensional stability in humidity...  If the wood expands while the steel rods don't, things could get a little funky.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

ACL1504

Dave,

A steel bar would work for sure. I'm not concerned about humidity with this.

I should have mentioned part of the sway was due to how the threaded rods were installed. The rods were used mainly to enable me to adjust the level. The rods are floating in the 2X2s. Meaning they are loose and the weight of the benchwork holds them in place. The washers keep the rod level in the 2X2 so the adjustment can be made. The holes for the rods are larger than the rod and this also was a major contributor in the swaying.

The double screwed 1X2s solved the problem.

Granted they are much more visible than the rods but this is a concession I'm willing to live with.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on August 23, 2021, 12:49:40 PM
Dave,

A steel bar would work for sure. I'm not concerned about humidity with this.

I should have mentioned part of the sway was due to how the threaded rods were installed. The rods were used mainly to enable me to adjust the level. The rods are floating in the 2X2s. Meaning they are loose and the weight of the benchwork holds them in place. The washers keep the rod level in the 2X2 so the adjustment can be made. The holes for the rods are larger than the rod and this also was a major contributor in the swaying.

The double screwed 1X2s solved the problem.

Granted they are much more visible than the rods but this is a concession I'm willing to live with.

Tom  ;D

Tom

If you decide that you want to eliminate the view issue with the wood, mount the steel rods with steel L-brackets that create a fixed joint. I have to believe that 90% plus of the sway is coming from the joints.  Is the opposite end attached to the building in any way?
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ACL1504

John,

I appreciate the in put on the issue. The 1X2s are very sturdy and I believe that mounting L brackets will result in the same sturdiness. I'll know more when I mount the other 8 ft. section.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

tct855

ACL 1504,
                I'm liking the 1x2's idea, I remember someone building a second layer once before using wider boards.
                                                                                                                                                                         KP-out...
https://youtu.be/ulwUkaKjgY0?t=76

ACL1504

KPI,

Funny, and a good funny movie. Thanks for the laugh!

"T"  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I finally found a spot of the Trackside Tavern. This is another Reading Bob build. It is within walking distance of the roundhouse so lots of railroad men, er, persons, will be drinking here.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I traced the outline on the cardboard and then cut that piece out.

Now the tavern fits nicely in this location.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com