The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 4

Started by ACL1504, May 31, 2021, 01:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I drew in the expansion joints in the area where the bail bonds office and apartment building is located.

Continued -
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Prior to painting, I used a metal ruler and scribe and scribed the expansion joints. Floquil Aged Concrete was painted on full strength with a soft bristle brush.

After the paint dried, not cured, I used pastel chalks to weather the concrete. Floquil takes 2-3 days to fully cure depending on how thick it was applied.

Time for a Diet Pepsi, back in a few more.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The rest of the main road will be painted with Floquil CN Gray and weathered accordingly.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The road around Eaton's Curve is painted with Floquil CN Gray and weathered with pastels.

Finished for now.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, Tom.

A couple of things ...

Now feel free to shoot me down here - but its been my experience that roads generally show ware from wheel markings, and as such I would expect four weathered lines across the road rather than two?  I did a quick google image search and seemed to find backing for this thought.

Secondly - although the tavern fits into that space well, it seems a bit odd that the front door does not face the street.  I wondered whether a subway coming under the tracks (across the benchwork) and popping up in front of the tavern might be a solution - giving a good foot traffic flow and a reason for the reversal of the tavern?  You could continue the walkway along the left side of the tavern to the street.  It would add some drama, and perhaps some lighting and a cool mini scene (maybe a mugging in action)?

Cheers, Mark.

ACL1504

Mark, Cheers,

No need to shoot you down. I want feedback from followers of the thread. Now, that said, I'm not sure I've ever seen a road where the tire tracks show and not the oil slick down the center. Are you possibly talking about the lighter portion of the road on either side of the oil slick?

This isn't a southern road obviously but it does show the darker pattern down the middle.

The tavern is such an odd shaped building it is hard to find a spot where it fits. I have it facing the workers leaving work.

It won't fit facing the road.

This is the only other option without moving it to a different location.

I appreciate you taking the time to voice your concerns.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Mark Dalrymple

Hi Tom.

Even the photo you show looks to me more like four lighter tire tracks rather than an oil slick in the center of each side of the road.  Notice how the road is darker again by the center line and by the edges of the road?  I've found some photos of NZ roads, and for what ever reason we seem to have the same pattern except the tire marks are darker.

Maybe I should swap the work 'subway' for 'pedestrian underpass'.  A set of steps coming up from the ground in front of the tavern in the original position you had it in.  Below is a link to the sort of thing I saw in my minds eye - the second photo in particular.

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/west-end-pedestrian-underpass-soon-to-be-closed-to-public/article_3d612745-11d0-5b9a-a8d5-cbf8d6fe74ec.html

Cheers, Mark.

jerryrbeach

Tom,

Your roads look fine to me.  The darker area in the center of the lanes could be a little wider IMO.  Roads today look nothing like the roads of the 50's.  Then cars had road draft tubes that blew any compression leakage along with any oil that passed the rings directly onto the road.  Carbureted engines fed too much gasoline to the cylinders especially under acceleration.  That led to engine wear and oil blowby.  The oil not only came from any crankcase leaks, but also straight out the tailpipe of any worn engines.  Roads today are much cleaner due to the complex emission systems.  Just my two cents, and maybe not worth that...
Jerry

GPdemayo

Tahope is starting to come to life.....I bet the planning and zoning commission meetings are a hoot, since all the major decisions are made in that Pullman car parked by the freight house.  ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

This area is starting to come together. It's looking just fantastic. I'm following along with great interest.

Karl

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on August 25, 2021, 07:11:08 PM
Everything looks great Tom.

Curt,

Thank you my friend. Much appreciate you checking in.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on August 25, 2021, 07:23:45 PM
Hi Tom.

Even the photo you show looks to me more like four lighter tire tracks rather than an oil slick in the center of each side of the road.  Notice how the road is darker again by the center line and by the edges of the road?  I've found some photos of NZ roads, and for what ever reason we seem to have the same pattern except the tire marks are darker.

Maybe I should swap the work 'subway' for 'pedestrian underpass'.  A set of steps coming up from the ground in front of the tavern in the original position you had it in.  Below is a link to the sort of thing I saw in my minds eye - the second photo in particular.

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/west-end-pedestrian-underpass-soon-to-be-closed-to-public/article_3d612745-11d0-5b9a-a8d5-cbf8d6fe74ec.html

Cheers, Mark.

Mark, Cheers,

I see what you are talking about in ref. to the tire marks. You see two tire tracks in each lane and I see two oil patterns down the middle of each lane.

I definitely don't have the room for a pedestrian underpass. That would really be a great feature to model. We had one like the second photo in Orlando where school children had to cross a major highway. When the school closed, the underpass was sealed off. It is still under the highway though.

Thank you my friend for taking the time to post your thoughts. I very much appreciate your input.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com